Vision: A world-class community sport system, co-created for Aucklanders
The Auckland Approach to Community Sport represents a shift in how community sport is delivered across a complex environment. It depends upon a unified and targeted approach, and one that develops a communities ongoing ability to engage people and increase participation through varied
Aktive, Harbour Sport, Sport Waitakere, Sport Auckland and CLM Counties Manukau have formed a collaborative group under the banner of The Auckland Approach to Community Sport. This group has identified Communities of Activity, neighbourhoods and suburbs where we can involve communities in shaping delivery and connect those programmes and facilities with potential participants.
We are working together to co-create a world class community sport system for Aucklanders.
Community is at the cornerstone of The Auckland Approach to Community Sport. As a group, we are working with others in the community, schools, sports clubs, regional and national sports organisations, charities, facilities, churches, and commercial providers to build on the success of sports and recreation activities in that community.
The investment and thinking behind this approach is focused in five key strategic areas:
1. Collective Advocacy – attract new funding, find efficiency savings and advocate at the highest levels of local and central government for the needs of the sport and recreation sector
2. Young People – more of Auckland’s young people participating in sport and recreation
3. Coaching and Talent Development – programmes, support and resources for coaches, athletes and organisations
4. Sector Development – improved club, regional sport and recreation capability
5. Spaces and Places – improved access to spaces and facilities for all Aucklanders.
Click on the boxes to find out more on each area.